Beetroot and Fetta Pan Muffin
- 1 bunch each of red and yellow baby beetroot (beets) (500g)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (270g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme
- 200g (6½oz) fetta, crumbled
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 125g (4oz) butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup (40g) natural seed mix (see tip)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 26m (10½in) round ovenproof frying pan or 20cm x 30cm (8in x 12in) slice pan; line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm (¾in) on each side.
2. Trim and scrub beetroot, keeping a little of the stalks attached. Cut beetroot into thin slices lengthways. Place in a small bowl with oil; toss to coat.
3. Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add thyme and half the fetta. Stir in milk, butter and egg to make a soft, sticky dough.
4. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Top with sliced beetroot and remaining fetta; scatter top with seed mix.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and firm when pressed in the centre.
Tip- Natural seed mix is a combination of pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels), sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Serve the pan muffin cut into wedges.
Kept- Best eaten on the day it is made.
Good for… picnics with a leafy green salad and lemony dressing. cut into wedges and serve with hummus for your lunch box, or serve as a summer Dinner with grilled lamb or in winter with hearty soups.