Coconut & prawn fritters
- 200g (6½oz) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ cup (180ml) coconut milk
- 650g (1¼lb) raw medium shelled prawns (shrimp), chopped coarsely
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 butter (boston) lettuce (120g), leaves trimmed
- 2 medium carrots (345g), julienned
- ½ small daikon radish (200g), julienned
- 1½ cups (100g) bean sprouts
- 1 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- DIPPING SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1. Place rice flour and turmeric in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut milk and ½ cup (125ml) water to form a thick batter. Set aside for 15 minutes. Stir in chopped prawns. Season with salt.
2. Meanwhile, make dipping sauce. Combine ingredients with 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl.
3. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil. Heat to 180°C/350°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Cook ¼ cups of the fritter mixture in batches for 3 minutes or until crisp, golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
4. Top each lettuce leaf with a fritter, carrot, daikon, bean sprouts and coriander. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly Grazing Boards, Are Media Books, RRP $49.99, available where all good books are sold & at www.awwcookbooks.com.au