Lamb koftas with beetroot tzatziki
- ½ cup (35g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 600g (1¼lb) minced (ground) lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ¹⁄³ cup oregano leaves, chopped coarsely
- 100g (3oz) fetta, crumbled
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- BEETROOT TZAKZIKI
- 200g (6½oz) beetroot (beets)
- 1 cup (280g) greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1. Make beetroot tzatziki. Peel and shred beetroot, then combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Place breadcrumbs and milk in a medium bowl. Add lamb, allspice and oregano. Season. Using your hands, work mixture until well combined. Add fetta and mix until combined. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into kofta shapes. Thread koftas onto 15cm (6in) bamboo or metal skewers (see tip).
3. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook koftas, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
4. Serve koftas with beetroot tzatziki.
Tip: Soak bamboo skewers in a tall jug of boiling water for 10 minutes before using, to prevent burning during cooking.
Prep: Cooked or uncooked koftas can be frozen for up to 3 months. If freezing, thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly Grazing Boards, Are Media Books, RRP $49.99, available where all good books are sold & at www.awwcookbooks.com.au