Mini Fruit Mince Tarts
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- ⅓ cup (55g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 200g (6½ ounces) butter, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 1¼ cups (320g) bottled fruit mince
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- ½ cup (40g) natural flaked almonds
- 125g (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (120g) almond meal
1. Process flour, custard powder and icing sugar until combined. Add butter; process until combined. Add egg and enough of the water to process to a soft dough. Wrap dough with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Lightly grease three 12-hole (1½ tablespoon/30ml) mini muffin pans. Roll 3 level teaspoons of pastry into a ball; gently press over base and side of a pan hole. Repeat with remaining pastry – you may have a little pastry left over. Refrigerate pastry cases for 30 minutes.
3. Make frangipane.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Combine fruit mince and rind in a small bowl. Fill each pastry case with 1½ teaspoons of the fruit mince. Top with 2 level teaspoons of frangipane; spread to the edge. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
5. Bake tarts for 25 minutes or until pastry is browned. Twist tarts in pan to loosen before removing. Cool tarts on a wire rack.
Frangipane: Beat butter, sugar and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add eggs and egg yolks; beat until just combined. Stir in almond meal.
Tip: Natural flaked almonds are flaked almonds with the skin on.
Do-ahead: Tarts can be made a week ahead or frozen for up to 3 months. Refresh tarts by heating in a 160°C/325°F oven for 5 minutes or until warm, then allow to cool before serving.