Upside-down Pineapple Ginger Beer Loaf
- 150g (4½oz) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 225g (7oz) can pineapple slices in natural juice
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups (335g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ cup (180ml) ginger beer
1. Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F fan-forced (this recipe must be baked in a fan-forced oven). Grease a 13cm x 26cm (5¼in x 10½in) (top measurement) loaf pan.
2. Melt 25g (¾oz) of the butter in a saucepan; pour into lined pan, rotating pan to coat the base of pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (55g) of the sugar. Drain pineapple and pat slices dry on paper towel. Arrange pineapple slices slightly overlapping along base.
3. Beat remaining butter and remaining sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, spices and ginger beer. Spread mixture into pan.
4. Bake loaf for 45 minutes. Leave in pan for 10 minutes, before turning onto a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.
Kept- Load is best eaten on the day it is made.
Good for- Afternoon tea with heaped spoonfuls of thick cream or coconut, to greek yoghurt. Serve warm as a desert topped with scoops of coconut ice cream or drizzled with thick caramel sauce.